Vegan Tomato Soup
- 1 medium sweet yellow onion
- 6 tablespoons Earth Balance
- Two 14.5-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 46-ounce tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup sherry or white balsamic vinegar, optional
- 1 1/2 cups cashew cream
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped watercress
- To make cashew cream, soak 1 cup raw cashews in enough water to cover for an hour or longer. Drain, place cashews in a blender or food processor, add ½ – 1 cup water and pulse until blended and creamy.
- Dice the onion. Melt the Earth Balance in a large enamel-coated cast iron Dutch oven (a large soup pot works too), then sauté until soft and translucent.
- Add diced tomatoes and tomato juice, sugar, and vegetable broth powder.
- Top with freshly ground black pepper, increase heat to a near boil, them remove pot from heat.
- Add the sherry, cashew cream, basil and watercress. Stir until the watercress wilts.
- Serve the soup with hunks of warm, crusty French or Italian bread spread thickly with Earth Balance!