While it seems the ingredient list is long and the steps many, this chili is worth every bit of it. Thick, creamy, hardy, your long winter night will be super warm. High protein and fiber ensured it’s hearty too! Serve with Southern cornbread for a well rounded and complementary meal.
- ½ lb. dried pinto beans, soaked overnight
- ½ lb. dried cannellini beans, soaked overnight
- 2 lbs. onions, finely chopped
- 2 T. olive oil
- 1 ½ – 2 tablespoons red chili flakes
- ½ oz. dried shiitake mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 4 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 package Trader Joe’s meatless crumbles (or favorite brand)
- ¾ c. TVP (textured vegetable protein), reconstituted with ¾ c. boiling water
- ½ c. walnut halves, toasted
- 1 28-oz can diced tomatoes, reserve juice after draining
- 3 T. tomato paste
- 1 jalapeno peppers, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 T. low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 – 2 T. vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 7-8 c. water
- 1 T. ground cumin
- 1 – 2 T. veggie broth powder
- 1 T. no-salt Spike seasoning
- 1 – 2 t. Liquid Smoke
- 1 T. molasses
- 1 t. adobo sauce
- ¾ c. frozen corn, thawed
- ¼ c. fresh cilantro, finely chopped, for garnish
- Greek yogurt or vegan sour cream for garnish
- Bring 4-5 quarts water and beans to a rapid boil in a Dutch oven or large stockpot. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour. Drain and rinse beans and set aside.
- In a food processor, pulse the red chili flakes, dried mushrooms and oregano until fine.
- In the Dutch oven, sauté onions in olive oil until soft, then add in red chili flakes, mushrooms and oregano and sauté until onions are translucent and spices very fragrant. Add the meatless crumbles and reconstituted TVP (pour boiling water over TVP and set aside until reconstituted, about 5 minutes) and sauté until heated through.
- Meanwhile, puree the roasted walnuts in a small food processor for about 30 seconds and set aside.
- Process the drained tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapeno peppers, garlic, soy sauce, and Worcestershire sauce in food processor until tomatoes are finely chopped, about 45-60 seconds; set aside.
- In Dutch oven, combine beans, meatless crumble mixture, tomato mixture, water, cumin, veggie broth powder, Spike, Liquid Smoke, molasses and adobo sauce and simmer covered for 1½ hours (up to 2 hours) until beans are very tender.
- When beans are nearly done, add thawed frozen corn.
- Spoon into bowls, garnish with cilantro and Greek yogurt if desired.
Serves a lot! Freezes well.