A powerhouse mixture of grains and dried fruit, muesli adds punch to your morning. Muesli is an old standby, in fact, from the late 1800’s. Mostly whole grains, nuts, seeds and dried fruit, muesli is a power pack of long-lasting fuel.
There are 2 ways to enjoy this killer meal – make it yourself or buy it already prepared. Either way, keep a vat of it on hand for a quick start to a vibrant day!
Marvelous Mighty Magnificent Muesli
Hot or cold, this powerhouse packs a punch in the morning – or even an afternoon snack before a workout. Bonus – regularity!
• ¾ cup soy or fat-free milk
• ½ cup uncooked oatmeal (not quick cooking kind)
• 1 T. coarsely ground flaxseed
• 1 T. roasted or raw, unsalted pumpkin seeds
• 1 T. roasted or raw, unsalted sunflower seeds
• 1 T. slivered roasted or raw unsalted almonds
• 1 T. dried dates or figs
• 1 T. raisins
• ¼ cup kefir or high-protein yogurt (like plain Greek or Icelandic yogurt)
• ¼ cup fresh fruit (finely chopped apples in fall and winter, mixed berries in summer)
• Pinch ground cinnamon
• Pinch ground cloves
- Place all ingredients except soymilk, kefir and fruit into a bowl.
- Pour the warm or cold milk over the cereal.
- Add the kefir and berries and sprinkle cinnamon and cloves on top.
- Note: no added sugar. If additional sweetness desired, drizzle in some honey, maple syrup or molasses (molasses is an iron booster).
Serves 2 (nutritional analysis per serving): 260 calories, 10 g protein, 33 g carbs, 10 g fat, 80 mg sodium, 6 g fiber.