Hot, steaming chicken noodle soup. Yum…….just what you yearn for on a cold winter night. Especially with the sniffles, aches, and sore throat of a cold. This vegan version of Mom’s famous chicken soup is definitely a winner in taste and sniffle-beating.
For 4 servings, begin with these ingredients and alter to suit your taste
• 4 c. vegetarian broth (Frontier makes a delicious powder you add to water or get pre-packaged Imagine Foods)
• 1 medium carrot, sliced thinly
• 1 stalk celery, chopped
• 1-2 T. leeks, chopped (whites only)
• 3 oz. uncooked fettuccine or spaghetti, broken into 2-inch pieces (about 1/2 cup)
• 2 1/2 T. plain TVP bits or chunks
• 2 green onions, thinly sliced
• 1 T. minced fresh parsley
In medium-sized stock pot, saute leeks in a small amount of olive oil until soft, about 1 minute. Add broth, carrots, and celery over medium-high heat, bring to a slow boil, then to a simmer. Stir in fettuccine and simmer, partially covered, 15 minutes. Stir in TVP and green onions. Cook 5 minutes more, or until vegetables and noodles are tender. Remove from heat, stir in parsley, and season with salt and pepper.
Per SERVING: Calories: 71, Protein: 4g, Total fat: 5g, Carbs: 13g, Cholesterol: mg, Sodium: 554mg, Fiber: 3g, Sugars: 4g
Adapted from Vegetarian Times, 2008 Cruz Bay Publishing, Inc.